Refereed Journal Publications
- Intrinsic religiosity, personality traits, and adolescent risky behaviors (with S. Mendolia and I. Walker), accepted, The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy.
- Heterogeneous effects of high school peers on educational outcomes (with S. Mendolia and I. Walker), 2018, Oxford Economic Papers 70(3):613–634.
- National pro-poor spending programmes and their effect on income inequality and poverty: Evidence from Vietnam (with P.V. Phan, M. O'Brien, and S. Mendolia), 2017, Applied Economics 49(55):5579–5590.
- Biting back at malaria: Assessing health service providers' compliance with treatment guidelines (with A.R. Reichert), 2017, Review of Development Economics 21(3):591–626.
- The effect of supplemental instruction on academic performance: An encouragement design experiment (with S. Rogan and P. Siminski), 2016, Economics of Education Review 55:57–69.
- The first case of intestinal transplantation in the Philippines: Perspective from a developing country (with S.R. Paloyo, F.P. David-Paloyo, M.P.J. Lopez, A.D. Dimacali), 2015, Journal of Stem Cell Research and Transplantation 2(2):1019.
- Who responds to financial incentives for weight loss? Evidence from a randomized controlled trial (with A.R. Reichert, M. Reuss-Borst, and H. Tauchmann), 2015, Social Science and Medicine 145:44–52.
- A note on evaluating Supplemental Instruction, 2015, Journal of Peer Learning 8:1–4.
- Is there a purchase limit on regional growth? A quasi-experimental evaluation of investment grants using matching techniques (with T. Mitze and B. Alecke), 2015, International Regional Science Review 38(4):388–412.
- Assessing the regional economic impacts of defense activities: A survey of methods (with J. Droff), 2015, Journal of Economic Surveys 29(2):375–402.
- Local determinants of crime: Do military bases matter? (with C. Vance and M. Vorell), 2014, Demographic Research 31(21):625–658.
- Do guns displace books? The impact of compulsory military service on educational attainment (with T.K. Bauer, S. Bender, and C.M. Schmidt), 2014, Economics Letters 124(3):513–515.
- When did we begin to spell heteros*edasticity correctly?, 2014, Philippine Review of Economics 51(1):162–178.
- The causal link between financial incentives and weight loss: An evidence-based survey of the literature (with A.R. Reichert, H. Reinermann, and H. Tauchmann), 2014, Journal of Economic Surveys 28(3):401–420.
- Co-pay and feel okay: Self-rated health status after a health insurance reform, 2014, Social Science Quarterly 95(2):507–522.
- Evaluating the labor-market effects of compulsory military service (with T.K. Bauer, S. Bender, and C.M. Schmidt), 2012, European Economic Review 56(4):814–829.
- The regional economic effects of military base realignments and closures in Germany (with C. Vance, and M. Vorell), 2010, Defence and Peace Economics 21(5–6):567–579.
- Will sorting classrooms by ability improve marks? It depends on the mix (with S. Mendolia), 2018, The Conversation.
- Finanzielle Anreize zur Gewichtsreduktion nach stationärer Rehabilitation (with M. Reuss-Borst, E. Peters, A.R. Reichert, and H. Tauchmann), 2015, Versicherungsmedizin 67(1):64–69.
- The Impact of Military Service on Future Labor-Market Outcomes, 2014, in The Evolving Boundaries of Defence: An Assessment of Recent Shifts in Defence Activities (Contributions to Conflict Management, Peace Economics, and Development), Volume 23, Renaud Bellais (ed.), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp. 157–176.
- Editorial: On the orthography of heteros*edasticity, 2013, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society) 176(2):291–293.
- Special issue on the economic effects of minimum wages in Germany: Editorial (with S. Schaffner and C.M. Schmidt), 2013, German Economic Review 14(3):255–257.
- Demografie und Wachstum: Die gesamtwirtschaftlichen Effekte einer höheren Erwerbstätigkeit Älterer (with R. Bachmann, S. Braun, A. Friedl, M. Giesecke, D. Groll, A. Kramer, and A. Sachs), 2013, Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik 62(3):287–310.
- Arbeitsmarktwirkungen der Mindestlohneinführung im Bauhauptgewerbe (with H. Apel, R. Bachmann, S. Bender, P. vom Berge, M. Fertig, H. Frings, M. König, J. Möller, S. Schaffner, M. Tamm, M. Umkehrer, and S. Wolter), 2012, Journal of Labour Market Resesarch 45(3–4):257–277.
- Facilitating domestic investment and growth (with P.S. Intal, Jr. and M. Garde), 2012, in Sustaining Development and Growth in East Asia, Timo Henckel (ed.), Routledge, pp. 27–65.
- Paragons and dysfunctions: A report on the First Asia Workshop on Institutional Analysis Organised by the Ronald Coase Institute, 2008, European Business Organization Law Review 9(4):657–669.